CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Age, Privilege, And The Things I Say When I’m Not Thinking

HowlRound: A short while ago, I was in the audience for a play and noticed that I was distinctly younger than many of those around me. It didn’t come as a surprise. This was a theater with a historically older audience base.
Being the wit I am, I pulled out my phone and tweeted something akin to “I’m singlehandedly lowering the average age of the audience by a decade.”
It got a few laughs, a couple questions about what theater I was in, and then went where pithy tweets go to die.
I immediately felt bad about it.

1 comment:

Sabria Trotter said...

My grandmother is 83 years old and every once in a while we love taking her out to see a play or movie, however its becoming more and more difficult. There are not many plays geared toward older people or many venues that make it easy for them to get comfortable. I think that there is so much to gain from both making more art for the elderly as well as about them. There is so much to learn from the experiences of older people and our own everyday interactions with them.