CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Proud Sponsors

The Work of Art: I have a BFA in Musical Theater. It’s the kind of college degree that brings a smirk to many a face, as people assume I spent four years tap dancing and walking around in clown shoes. I did do both, at times, but I actually spent five years taking between 20-24 units a semester learning a deep curriculum in music, dance, and theater. Oh, and taking all of the “core” subjects required for a liberal arts college degree. Scoff if you will, but I learned how to put in the hours to get the job done, and my late-night cramming was often in the ballet studio as well as the library.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is an amazing idea. It's wonderful that the Arts Council of Santa Cruz County is stable enough to be able to provide reliable funding to arts organizations within their county year after year. The news of being able to rely on that funding without having to complete the daunting task of applying for it again must be a great relief to the companies that now hold Sponsorship status. The Arts Council seems to really have its head in the right place in that their focus is actually not on money, but on being able to support themselves and other local organizations in a way that allows everyone to focus on their missions and their artistic endeavors in order to better serve the local community. I also love that the Arts Council provides support for organizations of all shapes and sizes, especially because we all know the federal arts funding programs don't work that way.

Unknown said...

Literally going to copy and paste the link of this article on my Facebook because that's how important I think it is. I wish so many more places in the world offered this kind of aid slash had the ability to contribute to the arts! Though...I will say... I slightly disagree with the hoop jumping amendment they made. I do believe the arts should be funded and they should have access to great resources. However I think that in a world where finding funding opportunities is competitive... There should be some way for the process to pose not necessarily challenges but ways for people to show that they are dedicated for obtaining funds for their artistic endeavors. Otherwise people who aren't serious can get everything and people who are trying to accomplish goals and are invested are thwarted.