CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Training for Film, TV, Entertainment Design Focus of Session

Sightlines: The session will look at developing television, film, and digital content in theatre training programs during a rapidly enlarging digital age, and its relationship to traditional training. The panel will discuss what is essential in training the next generation of production designers for television, film, and the digital entertainment world. At the USITT Annual Conference in Charlotte, panelists discussed the need to fuse the classical skills of design with digital training. They proposed a classical undergraduate liberal and fine arts education with training in such traditional crafts such as hand drawing and painting with digital crafts.

1 comment:

skpollac said...

This is so incredibly relevant to our industry today and that thought scares me, to be quite frank. I would love to work in the film industry at some point in my career but I have yet to accept that that goal probably includes learning a majority of skills already known again in digital format. It makes me quite pleased to hear that they still stress drawing and painting as foundation to everything new. I suppose I will have to suck it up and accept the future eventually.