Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
Broadway News: Show Business Weekly: "New York’s first high school of film and television is nearly set to open, according to The New York Post."
4 comments:
Anonymous
said...
This sounds like a really fun high school to go to. I will be interested to see how this works out once they finally find a location. It will also be interesting to keep an eye out for what becomes of this high school’s first graduating class. I understand why other schools would be hesitant, but I think they were a little quick to dismiss “TV for homework”. I assume to have this school passed by all the levels necessary to become official, the homework is not nearly as simple as just watching whatever you’d like to on TV for homework.
I am not a fan of high schools with these kinds of specific majors. I went to one, where I had to choose what I wanted to do with the rest of my life before people would take me seriously. Its really dumb. Students should be able to do different things in high school, develop multiple interests, and then figure out what thy want to do in college. Thats what college is for. Its silly that people know what they want to do for the rest of their lives by 15
I would have loved to have the opportunities of a high school that was specialized in theater. and gave me the opportunities that a school such as this might provide. But at the same time i believe that if my high school were more limiting as far as the courses it offered of the variety of things it offered that I might have missed out on some of the more basic high school experiences the I think formed the knowledge base that I need to get through life.
I'm with everyone that has already commented on this one. High school isn't supposed to be about such specific things. I know most arts high schools let academics slack in HUGE ways so that their students can excel in their art studies. I'm not sure that is the best for gaining practical knowledge... certainly because after a film and tv high school, the students will only move on to an equally if not more so specialized college program.
4 comments:
This sounds like a really fun high school to go to. I will be interested to see how this works out once they finally find a location. It will also be interesting to keep an eye out for what becomes of this high school’s first graduating class. I understand why other schools would be hesitant, but I think they were a little quick to dismiss “TV for homework”. I assume to have this school passed by all the levels necessary to become official, the homework is not nearly as simple as just watching whatever you’d like to on TV for homework.
I am not a fan of high schools with these kinds of specific majors. I went to one, where I had to choose what I wanted to do with the rest of my life before people would take me seriously. Its really dumb. Students should be able to do different things in high school, develop multiple interests, and then figure out what thy want to do in college. Thats what college is for. Its silly that people know what they want to do for the rest of their lives by 15
I would have loved to have the opportunities of a high school that was specialized in theater. and gave me the opportunities that a school such as this might provide. But at the same time i believe that if my high school were more limiting as far as the courses it offered of the variety of things it offered that I might have missed out on some of the more basic high school experiences the I think formed the knowledge base that I need to get through life.
I'm with everyone that has already commented on this one. High school isn't supposed to be about such specific things. I know most arts high schools let academics slack in HUGE ways so that their students can excel in their art studies. I'm not sure that is the best for gaining practical knowledge... certainly because after a film and tv high school, the students will only move on to an equally if not more so specialized college program.
Post a Comment