Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Saturday, February 09, 2008
New dimensions in LED lighting
Sign Builder: Sometimes a changing technology can literally change an industry - a development quite familiar within the sign industry. Light Emitting Diodes (LED) came into being as a highly reliable, long-life, low-maintenance, and energy-saving alternative to traditional forms of sign lighting. But LED is now moving into architectural, accent, mood, and even general lighting applications.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I don't know if I would really call this new. I think it's really just a natural evolution for a new technology. It's a great revolution really. I love LED's and what they can do now. The article did show me a few new applications that I didn't know people where doing now, like replacing the lights in the backs of signs, or lighting up those annoying canopies over restaurants.
I don't really know anything at all about LEDs but it looks like they have evolved tremendously in the last couple years. A few years ago i worked on a show where the designer used LED Pars for an effect on a cyc. I wonder when and if all of theatre lights will be replaced by LEDs or if this is possible at all.
I agree with Chase in saying LED's aren't exactly new in the eyes of lighting designers and builders. However, I think its very innovative how architects are now using them in lighting certain elements of a building or illuminating signs. LED's create a crisp and permeating aesthetic that I don't think conventional lights have ever been able to conquer in the past.
This is interesting... I don't necessarily agree that this is new but neither do I agree that it isn't. I think there are a lot of innovative uses for LEDs now and they're being used widely in a multitude of venues and concentrations. It's great to see a product work so well for so many uses though I don't anticipate LEDs taking over theatre specifically any time soon.
I agree with pretty much every one else that there is not a lot of new here, but the uses of the technology are evolving rapidly, more and more lighting applications are turning to leds to fulfill their needs. They are a pretty good solution since they will outlast most of the circuitry controlling them, and they are tiny. I wonder what this will do to the lighting industry as a whole, and not just the special applications like signs and theatre, but people using them to light their homes and offices.
Although a lot of this may not be "new", in the eyes of the general public, this certainly is a new technology. LED lighting has not become part of the "average American" lexicon since about one or two years ago, which would make it a relatively modern technology in the eyes of the general public. And because they last longer and use more energy, they will certainly become popular as everyone in America wants to say they are "going green" (even if they don't change their lifestyle at all).
LEDs are sweeping over the industry. Now that higher power LEDs are available for less, it is better to use leds because of many reasons. First, they produce no heat, so there is no chance for a heat fire. They use little to no energy, for example LED christmas lights use 1/10 of the energy of standard christmas lights. Third, they have vibrant colors and can be seen from a distance.
Post a Comment