Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Fuerzabruta - The Masque of the Red Death - Offending the Audience
New York Times: "I RECENTLY made my New York acting debut, but I doubt you heard about it. It took place at a coffee shop in the East Village in a production called “Etiquette.” Presented as part of the Under the Radar festival, “Etiquette” required patrons to perform the play themselves, two at a time. Dialogue and stage directions were fed through headphones."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Though I do not like interactive theatre I think that it is important in the theatre world. Some people want to have that experince of being apart of the action instead of just taking everything in while watching a show. But even though these shows are not what some people want they do explore and bring some to the audience that normal theatre can't. Its one thing for someone to present an idea while your just sitting there, but its another for you to experience it. It gets to you on a whole new level. So this is the type of theatre that has that power. But I don't see it overriding the classical way of the theatre. Just sitting there taking it all in.
I think the idea of interactive theater being a product of our generation makes sense. The article this week about the Toy Story video game ride at from Disney is proof of that. But I agree that this theater does not necessarily qualify as Drama. As they said, more often than not in this interactive theater no story is being told, but its purpose is rather a recognition of self for the audience.
I think it will be interesting to see in the coming decades if this trend increases in playwriting and if there becomes less Drama with more introspection of audience members.
I think this article makes an interesting point about interactive theatre in that an audience member only gets out of it what they put in to begin with. I think this is also true about theatre in general, an suggests a trend in our generation to recognize responsibility on the part of the audience. Does theatre accomplish more when the audience has to work for it?
Post a Comment