CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The State of (New) Play in DC, Part V

Gwydion Suilebhan: I don’t know what it’s like to be a playwright in New York; I’ve never done it. (And I don’t intend to.) I sometimes think all the competition must make it stressful. (Then again, that’s what I think about life in New York in general.) I imagine always being the fifth playwright in line for a three-play opportunity, or burning the midnight oil all the time to try to meet the right people, or worrying about making ends meet in a demanding financial environment. Of course, New York also sometimes seems like the land of plenty: opportunities, collaborators, shows to see, and so on. I’m sure it comes with more than its fair share of benefits, or we wouldn’t have so many playwrights living there.

No comments: