CMU School of Drama


Friday, March 23, 2012

Moon Area students' take on 'Guys and Dolls' lively and relevant

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: What do today's high school students make of the colorful 1940s Damon Runyon world of Frank Loesser's "Guys and Dolls"? It's one of the greatest American musical comedies, but what do they have in common? Many of its references are dated even for their parents or grandparents. But wait. In its heart "Guys and Dolls" is all about a personal dynamic high schoolers know as well as anyone and more intensely than many: the danger/attraction of falling in love with someone from the "wrong" social group. Furthermore, it's also about mixing secular and sacred, gambling with your ideals and listening to your better self.

2 comments:

K G said...

It is interesting to see some bit of critique sneaking into this article. Now, I don't know at what caliber this high school typically performs, but I do know that during my high school career any articles that appeared about us didn't include many "buts..." after the "It was good!" And, truthfully, I wish they had. One shouldn't be beaten down over something produced in an educational level high school theatre, but it is also important to learn how to handle the aforementioned "buts." I never thought what I did had been without flaw, and neither did anybody else, but at times I also don't feel that we were aptly prepared for how harsh the real and even the collegiate world can be.

skpollac said...

I am confused as to the direction this school took with the show. The article begins talking about high schoolers but in the pictures it looks to me that the main characters remained in the time it was initially written to take place in. Granted, I don't know this show at all so who am I to say, but it did look like it was taking place in two separate times. I do agree with Kassondra that generally, you don't see articles on high school shows with any negatives. All must end happily like a disney princess movie. But disney princesses, sadly, aren't real.