CMU School of Drama


Sunday, September 23, 2007

How To: Beat the Procrastination Habit

Lifehacker: "Part of the reason I procrastinate is that I have a rich mental life. This is just a flowery way of saying that I'm a daydreamer. I'm always lost in thought. One way to keep on track is to use a timer. I use the Ultrak Jumbo Countdown Timer, but not as often as I should. I set it for 48 minutes. When it goes off, it serves as an instant reality check: Am I doing what I'm supposed to be doing?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is interesting to see that so many people use timers to make sure that they are on track. I'm not sure that I could work knowing that I am "under pressure" in that kind of way. Additionally, I find it difficult to estimate an approximate time for a lot of design work, and often times, that daydreaming is vital to my process.

Anonymous said...

I am fascinated by this idea and am now highly motivated to purchase a timer of my very own. I guess I don't see it in the "pressure" sort of way, because for me it wouldn't be a race against time, but rather a friendly reminder to get back to something relatively productive! I loved the way this writer described his procrastination problem, making it sound like more of a gift than a curse. Sounds way better than complaining about it, and clearly proactivity is the result!

Anonymous said...

this doesn't really work for me. i think that it would get really annoying after awhile. while i am working or if i am thinking i could see this throwing me out of the "groove". i think there are many other ways to approach this issue. and again i think this would only work for certian types of people in certian professions.