CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, October 06, 2026

You'll Never Get Through Your List. That's the Point.

www.asianefficiency.com: Oliver Burkeman was in the Arctic watching the Northern Lights. Once-in-a-lifetime stuff. And he spent the experience trying to “be in the moment” and “use the time well.” He tried so hard to optimize it that he ruined it. He compared the lights to an old PC screensaver.

1 comment:

JoyceILoveCats123 said...

I honestly really liked this article because I think the idea that you are supposed to “finish” your to-do list is one of the biggest lies about productivity. There will always be another email, another assignment, another load of laundry, another errand, or something else that needs to be done. The article’s point about only being able to choose two things out of twenty really stood out to me because I think people hate admitting that they cannot do everything. I know I have had days where I make a huge list thinking I am going to be productive, and then I get annoyed with myself when half of it is still there at the end of the day. But, if I spend three hours answering emails, cleaning my room, doing homework, shopping, and going in with the intention of finishing some random project, something is going to eventually get pushed aside. I actually think accepting that you cannot do everything is more productive than feeling guilty about what you did not accomplish.