Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Tuesday, October 06, 2026
'I Would Sit in the Audience’s Lap If I Could': Victoria Clark Wants to Get Close to Theatregoers
Playbill: It's no surprise that Victoria Clark is a terrific actor. In the interview that follows, the two-time Tony winner reveals that she wants audiences to "feel like they are inside of the story alongside us, not outside of it." Anyone who has seen her perform on stage over the past four decades knows Clark possesses a rare ability to make an audience deeply share her character's joys and sorrows.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I found Victoria Clark's outlook on theatre and society to be both relatable and deeply personal. As a designer, I think we embody the essence of human nature that Clark so passionately highlights in this article. The closeness and connection that Clark highlights I found resonating in my own experience, while from the other side of the table, my designs and work aim to have the gap between spectator and spectacle to become synonymous with each other - I am fascinated by seeing people walk away with a new understanding or new perspective of what they have viewed. I think Clark feels similarly through her own embodiment of characters. I found her thoughts on how she accepts roles very intriguing as she really aims to view people that have this sense of inner arc or turmoil and especially, those that center family. I find that outlook interesting because it made me reflect on her qualities but also as a designer what stories do I want to tell and how to do I want to tell them.
Post a Comment