CMU School of Drama


Monday, January 11, 2016

Being Immersed In Theater Can Change Your World

OnStage: In the year 1972, for the first time in my life I found myself immersed in theater, both as an acting student and two as an actor in the Traveling Theater of Rockland county. Admittedly I was a shy boy of 15 years old and had never had an experience where out of necessity to survive the traveling group, I was literally shaken out of my shell. I remember thinking about the joy I felt when the audiences laughed or applauded, as well as the young ladies who were enamored by who they perceived me to be. Pretty powerful stuff for a 15 year old.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really believe that the world of theater is something that has to be experienced. I always struggle to describe it to people that aren’t involved or don’t understand what we do. It is special to me in a way that is indescribable but I love sharing it with people, even if that just means dragging my friends to see plays. This article made me think of a documentary called My Shakespeare in which director Baz Luhrmann goes to a poor neighborhood in London, the kind he grew up in, and puts on a production of Romeo and Juliet with people who had never performed or even gone to many plays. Luhrmann has an amazing ability for sharing his passion with these people and it really exemplifies the transformative power of theater. Theater is meant to be shared and one of the most rewarding things we can do as theater artists is find ways to share it with people who don’t usually get a chance to be involved or a part of our world.