CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Model Alliance Fights Abuse and Harassment of Fashion Models

backstage.com: The Model Alliance, a new non-profit that was founded by supermodel Sara Ziff to organize and protect the rights of working fashion models, is continuing its quest to fight against child sexual abuse, sexual harassment, and the exposure of child models, ages 12-17, to cocaine and other drug usage in the industry. The organization has partnered with the Actors' Equity Association and the American Guild of Musical Artists to provide a service called ModelReports, for Model Alliance members and their agencies to confidentially report abuse, harassment, discrimination, and drug use on the job.

1 comment:

Rachael S said...

I didn't know until I read this article that there wasn't some sort of organization to protect the rights of fashion models until recently. I like the comparison the author makes to dancers, and how things changed a lot for them after they unionized.
This is a noble effort, but I'm a little skeptical (mostly because I'm me). From what I know, (and I reserve the right to be wrong) a big reason that models can be pressured into posing nude when they don't want to, and doing cocaine and having eating disorders, is that the industry is insanely competitive.* A wrong move could knock them off the right path, and lose their chance of really "making it" as a model.* Faced with that threat, I'm not sure how many models will use this organization that's standing behind them as a way to say "no".* If an important (read: asshole) photographer thinks you're being difficult, no matter how much right you have to say "no", he might just hire someone else for the next job.*

*Based on my very limited knowledge of the model and fashion industry.