CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Warning: Your Overcomplicated Resume is Turning Off Potential Employers

thegrindstone.com: Step away from the thesaurus! In a recent study we conducted at RezScore, we found that the ideal resume is written at an 11th grade level. So, while you may have significant education beyond your junior year in high school – and you may be tempted to replace simple words with more “intelligent” sounding ones – this often makes your resume more confusing than impressive.

1 comment:

K G said...

I always fall in to the trap of trying to make my resume too complicated. It's easy to forget that nobody is going to be impressed by how intelligent one sounds on a resume, because chances are they are not going through it with a fine toothed comb. They are skimming it over to get an impression. If they get a good one, you'll get an interview - and that is your time to sound intelligent and make an impression in that regard. I have to make a conscious effort to strip my words down and get to the core of what I am actually trying to say or what I actually did. I don't think this is an uncommon problem. People have been taught to try and seem "special" in a very certain way, and as it turns out that was is not the only, or the best, way to actually go about it.