CMU School of Drama


Thursday, November 01, 2007

Shakespeare: Completely worked-over

The Tartan Online: "A play called The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) might sound like an onstage reading of an English student’s CliffsNotes, but the performance is much more satisfying. Scotch ’n’ Soda put on the show over the weekend, in a performance featuring senior English major Julia Brown, first-year business major Stephen Chan, and first-year science and humanities scholar Joshua Patent."

1 comment:

shupcey said...

Besides the fact that I completely disagree with this review....

I wouldn't have even been interested in seeing the show, but my Uncle was in town, as an alum, and he worked in Scotch 'N' Soda while he was here at CMU. So, maybe I'm just spoiled and expect more form performances, but it wasn't even mildly entertaining for me personally. I mean, yes, for what it was I suppose it was good, but frankly it didn't strike me as particularly imaginative or well done. It's unfortunate that SNS isn't what it used to be back in the days of Stephen Schwartz, but I did enjoy their production of Pippin last year. So maybe the lesson is, just ignore their shows that aren't musicals composed mostly of music majors.

But maybe it just is me, because the rest of the audience seemed to enjoy it. However a better review that wasn't praising all of the minor triumphs would have been...nice.