CMU School of Drama


Thursday, November 01, 2007

Comedy of Errors — more error than comedy

The Tartan Online: "Casual William Shakespeare readers (and even some more hardcore ones), don’t pay as much attention to his comedies. Like the tragedies, these are equally compassionate and energetic, but with a different focus: farcical hilarity and whirlwind of confusion. Such is the blueprint for an early comedy of his, The Comedy of Errors, now running at the O’Reilly Theater downtown as part of the Pittsburgh Public Theater series."

5 comments:

Ryan said...

Thats really a shame that it got such a review. I really wanted to go see this but didn't get the chance. I think that directors always trying to diversify casts for the sake of diversity create a lot more problems than they solve.

Dave said...

I saw this play a couple weeks ago and I liked it. Diversifying casts for the sake of diversity can create a lot of problems, and this show had some, they where not "offensive to anyone over 10 and under 50" at least not the people I talked to. And if you are going to talk about Shakespeare fans, and criticize the play, at least get the main characters names right. The brothers born of Egeon where the Antipholus brothers not "Alphonsus of Syracuse and Alphonsus of Ephesus"

Anonymous said...

I saw this show with Dave and while I have to agree that the 'multicultural' idea may have missed the mark, the rest of the show was quite enjoyable. it was nice to see a production of Shakespeare set in modern times. there were some elements which did not work, but for the most part it was entertaining and quite comedic. certainly more comedy than error in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

sorry, e is me.

maddie regan said...

I was planning on seeing this show and I suppose now it's better that I didn't. Something the critic didn't touch on was that often playing to stereotypes can facilitate a farce. One prime example of this would be "Avenue Q"---the musical uses stereotypes to encourage its comedy nature. So perhaps the aim of the director was not to offend, but embrace the notion that "everyone's a little bit racist."