CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Prolight + Sound 2018 Adds Immersive Technology Forum And Demonstrations

ProSoundWeb: Prolight + Sound 2018 presents new technologies that blur the boundaries between reality and virtual perception. To be held for the first time during Prolight + Sound, the Immersive Technology Forum on Thursday, April 12th, is made up of lectures revolving around subjects such as 3D audio, virtual reality, 360° film, and holography. Additionally, there will be several special areas at Prolight + Sound where exhibitors demonstrate immersive hearing experiences.

1 comment:

Rachel Kolb said...

This article wasn’t particularly interesting because it was throwing terms in thee that were above my knowledge, but the author talked about these things at the conference like they were very interesting and impressive. So, I went to the internet and looked up some of these things, and wow they are actually really cool. I read couple of articles about object based mixing for broadcast and television. It seems like a really cool concept, but there were still a lot of things that went over my head because I didn’t understand the basic information let alone the future tech that is building off of our current mixing techniques and implementations. What I dove into that I found fascinating was the technology and software that is behind 360 audio. Reading about these new technology gave me the insight to where sound is heading, specifically for TV, broadcasting, and virtual reality. I love to learn about how the technical side is changing and how these innovations are going to change not only the perception of sound for the modern audience, but the creative process for the creation of sound will be changing in these industries.