CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Small theaters reel as movies go digital

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Anyone who suspected movie theaters or drive-ins were crying wolf over the need to raise $65,000 or $75,000 for a digital projector need only look to "The Wolf of Wall Street."
Paramount Pictures has become the first big studio to stop releasing its major movies, including the Oscar-nominated saga about a stockbroker wallowing in excess, on film in the United States, the Los Angeles Times recently reported.

1 comment:

AeonX8 said...

I think it is fairly obvious the switch to digital projection is inevitable. While this is not seemingly good news for smaller theaters who cannot afford the high cost of upgrading, there may be creative solutions for the smaller theaters to stay in business. When I think of the commercial movie theater experience, I cringe a bit. I used to be an avid moviegoer before movies started to become available on DVD relatively quickly after their theatrical release dates. My average used to be one, sometimes two movies a week viewed in movie theater, now once a year is the number. I realize I am not the norm, but I really do believe smaller art house theaters have the potential to reinvent themselves as so much more than simply venues capable of screening movies – be they on film or via a digital system. Perhaps the trick is to create a feeling of community coming together for special gatherings – an environment that would foster an intimacy not possible in multiplexes.