CMU School of Drama


Friday, October 25, 2013

Romeo and Juliet Redux

HowlRound: I’m the least cool person. I get excited about things. Too much, sometimes. But I learned at an early age, to protect myself and keep from freaking people out, to hold back. I’ve learned to live in a world where emotions aren’t cool. Don’t gush about that TV show you just watched. Don’t freak out about the government’s latest breach of human rights. Don’t let someone know how much you love them. Better yet, don’t fall in love.

1 comment:

Mariah G said...

I think this article makes a really good point. People in our society are trained not to feel anything and that repression of emotion makes everything we do robotic. I have never seen a production of Romeo and Juliet that I have liked and the reason is always that I just don't believe anyone would act like that. No one has ever portrayed any of the characters in such a way that I feel like the ending is justified. Usually, by the third act I want to stand up and shout, "JUST KILL YOURSELVES ALREADY" because the shows are boring without the real emotion, and the reactions that the characters are having makes the characters and the writing seem over-dramatic. Everyone tells me that Romeo and Juliet is a beautiful and heartbreaking story but I've never seen it and because of this article I now understand why I disagree with the public opinion of that play. The emotions just aren't there.