CMU School of Drama


Monday, March 22, 2010

Stage Accents Trouble American and British Actors

NYTimes.com: "It’s only when you come to this city and hear British actors playing Americans that you realize how funny we all talk. I’m kidding, of course, but after listening to the peculiar nasality of some accents in the Old Vic revival of John Guare’s “Six Degrees of Separation,” I found myself wondering whether the twang-free voice I’d always assumed I’d been using sounded so very peculiar to the British. I’ve been working on something grander-sounding and mid-Atlantic ever since."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If actors playing roles in the accent that comes naturally to them becomes the standard, then there are certain associations that some audiences have already build up with accents that they will need to drop if they are to be able to find the production more believable. Granted, believability is not always they case, in fact, more times than not, it isn't. T=Also, yea, it makes it more difficult for some actors than others but, that's just the nature of the business.