CMU School of Drama


Friday, October 14, 2022

'Ichabod: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,' a new musical of love and lore, premieres at Creative Cauldron

DC Theater Arts: Fall is upon us and with it the usual stream of Halloween tales we all know and love. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving was originally published in 1819 and has seen many iterations in music and film. But now, at Creative Cauldron in Falls Church, we have the world premiere of a new musical adaptation of the classic story: Ichabod: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, by artistic power couple Matt Conner and Stephen Gregory Smith.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh this sounds so cool. I have always loved the story of Ichabod Crane and the Legend of Sleepy Hollow and this sounds so interesting. I love that this review is in depth and really gives the reader a sense of what they can expect when they go to see the show. It also helps people understand what the show is about even if they can’t see the show.
When I was a kid, one of my teachers read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow to us every halloween and I always looked forward to it because I am, and always have been, a fan of halloween. One year, our teacher ripped his pants during the reading of the story and therefore it will forever be in my memory and linked to the story. I think that just makes it even more of a special memory for me. I hope that this musical goes on from here and more people do it and it gets popular because it sounds really interesting.

Melissa L said...

I have to say, I'm surprised this story wasn't already a musical. The theatrics of it all certainly lends itself well to the stage! But, really, it just sounds like a cool show. I have always been obsessed with Sleepy Hollow, it's one of my favorite ghost stories. I've seen many different iterations, including the fabulously spooky tv show, so I'm exited for this one. I don't think it'll be ground breaking, but I hope it will be fun. We need fun musicals. I also just think ghost stories make for good theatre. I saw The Woman in Black on stage in Pasadena and it was wonderfully spooky. So many cool technical moments. From the set photos, it seems that this production is leaning more into the camp than the spooky, but that's still fun, too. Beetlejuice did well with that formula. I'll be interested to see if Sleepy Hollow will charm audiences in the same way.