CMU School of Drama


Monday, October 31, 2022

Coming Out of the Shadow of Colonialism, Hula Today is Experiencing a Renaissance

Dance Magazine: In a flowing blue-green gown, her arms bare, her long hair swept up elegantly and encircled with blossoms, Kayli Ka‘iulani Carr confidently took the stage at the 2016 Miss Aloha Hula contest in Hilo, Hawai‘i. This was the modern portion of a high-pressure contest, and she danced to the aching melody of “Ka Makani Ka‘ili Aloha,” which tells a story of a heartbroken lover who summons a magical, “love-snatching” wind to recapture the heart of his beloved. Carr dazzled the judges, the audience and the social media world.

1 comment:

Hadley said...

The art form of hula is absolutely stunning. It is beautiful in its original form that was so violently snuffed out by colonists and even beautiful still in its more modern form that grew from the need to bring the culture back to life. I am no authority or expert on the subject by any means, but I am an appreciator of all forms. I adore seeing the live streamed versions of hula competitions and performances. I am absolutely entranced by the beautiful music and the stirring precision of both the modern and traditional hula. I would be so interested to see one of the more full scale theatrical productions make by the hula masters. The hula is such a powerful story telling tool that even though I do not understand the language I can understand the emotions of the dance and the messages being portrayed. I can only imagine how that would translate into a full scale production.