CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, October 04, 2022

Dramatists Guild, TCG, Shakespeare Theatre Association Stand With Oregon Shakespeare Festival Artistic Director Nataki Garrett

Playbill: The Dramatists Guild, Theatre Communications Group, and The Shakespeare Theatre Association have released a joint statement standing behind Oregon Shakespeare Festival Artistic Director Nataki Garrett, who has been the recipient of racist death threats and other harassment in response to her progressive artistic decisions.

1 comment:

Kaylie Carpenter said...

3. I am deeply saddened that Nataki Garrett is facing such abuse. It is great for all of these theater organizations to put out statements in support, but I feel like there has to be something more we can do. I wish harassment in general was taken more seriously. It is a very difficult thing to have any consequences for it seems like. I am glad Garrett is being so protected, but of course I wish it were not necessary. I hope these threats abate soon. We talk so much about putting POC in places of power, but there are real concerns for the safety of those people. Theaters need to be prepared to handle that or they risk tokenizing these people. The season Nataki Garret has crafted seems so exciting and I think she has a great future at Oregon Shakes. I hope she finds a more peaceful time there very soon.