CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, August 22, 2018

What Indigenous Writers Can Bring to Theatre | HowlRound Theatre Commons

howlround.com: As an Alaska Native artist, I’m not sure I have yet been able to express what I hoped to express in theatre. That feeling of not quite making it, of absence or hunger, often bubbles up in me when I read a play by Federico García Lorca or Jean Racine, for example, reminding me of the thrilling, startling, meta-corporeal experience I know I could foster and help bring to the stage.

1 comment:

char said...

“When I am at my most personal, when I am most intimately in tune with my own thoughts, body, and being, I feel the disjointedness between my sovereign experience and the outer, colonial world.” This seems to resonate within me, in many ways than I would’ve imagined. Yes. I have experienced this, even though I am not from Alaska, but Puerto Rico. Life in a colonized land is a constant battle within ourselves. It’s fighting the image that is imposed on us, on how we are supposed to think, to look, to create, with the image of our daily lives, our own ways, fighting with our own type of art. It’s a battle to know that we are different, than what we are taught, and that those stories, our stories, are just as valuable, just as rich, just as important, as the ones we are forced fed. And arming ourselves with the courage to present them, to voice them out, without waiting for someone else’s permission to do so, is the biggest sign of bravery.