CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Broadway Will Dim Lights This Week in Honor of Neil Simon

www.broadwayworld.com: The Broadway community mourns the loss of Tony Award and Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright, librettist, lyricist, producer and theatre owner/operator Neil Simon, who passed away on Sunday, August 26 at age 91. The Committee of Theatre Owners has decided to dim the lights of Broadway theatres in New York in his memory on Thursday, August 30 at exactly 6:45pm for one minute.

1 comment:

Miranda Boodheshwar said...

I was very saddened this week to find out about Neil Simon's passing. Neil Simon wrote some of my all time favorite plays, many of which I have been a part of the cast or crew for. After performing Rumors, assistant directing The Odd Couple (Female Version), and costuming Barefoot in the Park, I've learned a lot about Simon. I know that he was very proud of his work and didn't want anyone to change it (literally, he threatened to sue my school multiple times). In some ways I feel like Neil is an old friend, since we had so many fights over changing bits and pieces of his shows, and I will sincerely miss his work. I think that dimming the lights in Broadway theatres, as a way to honor him, is the perfect way to pay our respects for the genius of a playwright. Was he the next Shakespeare? Probably not. However, I have no doubt that his plays will continue to be preformed for many more years.