CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, August 26, 2014

SAG-AFTRA Members Approve TV Contracts

Backstage: SAG-AFTRA members overwhelmingly approved the union’s new contracts with producers. With over 92 percent voting in favor, the membership approved the three-year contracts covering theatrical, primetime, and basic cable television production under the 2014 SAG-AFTRA Codified Basic Agreement and the 2014 SAG-AFTRA Television Agreement. Only 16 percent of the union’s some 137,000 eligible members voted.

1 comment:

Carson McCalley said...

Admittedly, I'm not an expert on SAG or AFTRA or how they run their businesses. However, living so close to Los Angeles for my whole life and being SAG-E for almost a year, I know the importance of noting how monopolistic these companies can be. I don't know if the merge is a move of unity or a move that further separates "struggling" actors and the "big, hot-shot" unions. In the article someone representing SAG-AFTRA says that it will benefit all parties involved. That being said, I don't know how reputable his opinion is in the eyes of a struggling Los Angeles actor. In short, I don't think this article gave me enough information to truly make an informed decision on whether this contract is a positive or negative move in the industry.