CMU School of Drama


Saturday, March 01, 2014

National Theatre To Present Live 4K Broadcast Of 'War Horse'

c2meworld.com: National Theatre Live and Sony are teaming up to broadcast the production of “War Horse” live in 4K.
On Feb. 27 2014, National Theatre Live will broadcast “War Horse” live from the New London Theatre to cinemas across the world. The broadcast will be shown in Sony 4K at the Curzon Cinema in Chelsea, the production will be projected using a Sony projector. The recording will be available as a 4K DCP allowing many 4K enabled cinemas to also show encore screenings at a later date.

3 comments:

Keith Kelly said...

War horse is a fascinating production. I traveled with a group of nineteen students from my high school over the summer to travel to London and Stratford upon Avon. Once there we saw seven shows and did a ton of sight seeing. My favorite play hands down was War Horse at the National Theatre. This concept of bringing the production to movie theaters nationally is crazy. I can see the initial appeal of wanting to see the production, but I can't imagine it being that great of an experience. Play are meant to be watched in person and through a screen you can't experience the same emotions. I can't see an audience in America crying as a horse dies on a screen of a live production across the globe.

Unknown said...

I thought is was interesting that the article was entirely about the technology being provided by Sony to capture the production, and not so much about the production. Personally I wonder how well warhorse will translate into screen, as it is a rather emotional production that relies heavily on the staging to work as well as it does. I was much more interested in hearing about how the production was going to translate in the camera more than hearing about the list of technology, most of which did not mean anything to me.

Trent Taylor said...

I really like war horse, and it probably is one of my favorite plays so I am super excited that they are showing it live in theaters. I am however concerned about how well the performance will sell though considering that the movie just came out a few years ago. I think the play has still been able to be successful despite the movie because its live in person but i dont know if filming it will maintain the excitement that causes people to come see it in person.