CMU School of Drama


Friday, March 21, 2014

Maltz program offers teens chance to produce, perform plays

www.palmbeachpost.com: Lights, camera, action. And … a twist.
When the Maltz Jupiter Theatre raises the curtain on Arthur Miller’s critically-acclaimed play “The Crucible,” patrons will get a glimpse at a one-of-a-kind troupe.
Everyone from the lead actor to the stage designer in this four-act play will be a teenager. The cast and crew, to be culled from local high school applicants, participate in a free, intensive one-on-one mentorship with theater staff during the summer Youth Artists’ Chair project.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This program reminds me a little bit of the pre-college program here at CMU, missus the fact that no real production goes on here over the summer. Its a really good opportunity for high schoolers, or other young people to learn about theater in a real professional environment. For me, it was being in a real theater, not in my school theater that I learned the most, and was really where I got to enjoy productions.

Unknown said...

This program has a really interesting structure. One of the strangest things to me is the fact that theres an application process, in high school anyone could be involved in the theatre I did. It's also unique in the fact that every aspect of responsibility is given to a teen. I wonder about how much involvement there is from adults? It's hard for me to imagine a production with so much student leadership. I think it would have been really exciting to be in a program like this in high school, because I had very little access to the production aspects in my high school theatre. Our faculty director took charge of all the aspects of directing and designing so it was hard to be involved in those.