CMU School of Drama


Saturday, March 22, 2014

Neil Young's Pono Hits Kickstarter, Exceeds $1 Million in Single Day

Digital Trends: Audiophiles have been murmuring about Neil Young’s PonoPlayer for over two years, and now they’re climbing over each other to secure one, possibly saving a few bucks in the process. Today, a Kickstarter campaign was launched for the much-anticipated high-resolution music player, offering a limited number of the $400 players for just $200. That early bird deal is no longer available, but at the time of this writing, a black PonoPlayer can still be had for $300.

2 comments:

Hunter said...

I would like to say that I am an audiophile but I can't actually consider myself one because I don't have the money it takes for the equipment that actually performs at the level of quality I would like. I try and procure as many FLAC or studio quality versions of my music as I can but the quality cannot be appreciated unless I have high quality listening equipment. This device is moderately expensive at $200-400 but I think that while the source quality would really help you still need high quality headphones to truly enjoy the music.

Unknown said...

I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile, so that probably explains why I haven't heard of the PonoPlayer before. That being said, if what the article says is true about it, I can definitely see it becoming popular and cheaper very fast. And I can see companies like Apple wanting to buy it and the patents. The price is on the somewhat pricier end, but not by too much. However, no matter what, it is all the pieces you have that make the difference: high-quality source files, a high-quality playback device, and a high-quality output device (speakers/headphones).