CMU School of Drama


Monday, November 18, 2013

Problem Solvers: Mics And Techniques For Challenging Situations

Pro Sound Web: Whether it’s a band using amplified and acoustic instruments, a bassist switching between electric and double bass, a drum kit right next to an acoustic piano, a particular sound that needs to be isolated in the face of loud ambient noise – or, well, you name it – selecting the right microphone (and deploying it in a certain way) can make a big difference in attaining the desired level and audio quality.

1 comment:

Mike Vultaggio said...

This article is the most useful article I think I have read so far. I have been in many situations where I have not really known the best way to mic an instrument with the materials provided. This article provides good ways to mic these instruments effectively and accurately, especially the acoustic piano. These have been the bane of my existence since I started doing audio. I have yet to find exactly the best way to mic one of these and get nice even coverage of all octaves. This article provides good ways to mic this.