CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, November 20, 2013

It’s Pointless to Argue Over Whether a Film — or Any Work of Art — Is Feminist

Flavorwire: Depending on your political orientation, it sounds like a news story from either feminist utopia or authoritarian hell (or, if you’re among those of us lucky enough to live with much ambivalence and cognitive dissonance, both): “Swedish cinemas take aim at gender bias with Bechdel test rating.” I was certainly shocked to hear, last week, that Dykes to Watch Out For and Fun Home creator Alison Bechdel’s gender-based test for films had not only reached Scandinavia, but was affecting cinema policy over there.

3 comments:

JodyCohen said...

On a personal note, I just want to start by saying that I don't like the comic. I like what it is trying to get me to think about, and indeed it is thought-prevoking. But who crafted those images of women, and what were they trying to achieve there? I'm confident I could write a solid argument about how that depiction/illustration is counter-productive to their point. C'mon...

Anyway, back to what the writer had to say: I think she hits the nail on the head. Just as the term "Feminism" means different things to different people, so does art. As Salvador Dali liked to tell us that the art isn't complete without an audience.

K G said...

I am a woman, and I have grown to hate the new depths of the feminist argument. Of course I think I deserve to be treated equally. You know what? I am. I don't really interact with people who treat me differently for something I can't really help, it's not worth my time. Trying to fix the thought processes of people who are obviously stuck in the way things used to be is also not worth my time. I don't need a Bechdel test. Whether not not I enjoy something isn't determined by whether or not the women involved in it talk about men. I don't want to burn my bra, I don't want to protest, I just want to live my life without having something that wasn't really bothering me (and still really isn't), being shoved in my face all the time.

And, by the way Jody, it's "provoking."

ZoeW said...

I think that we should test movies on their feminist qualities. This test is just looking to see if there is any interaction between woman where they are talking about something other than men. That doesn't really seem like too much to ask it seems like it should be in 100% of movies. I don't think that it will make a movie better to have this just maybe more actuate to real life.