CMU School of Drama


Saturday, July 20, 2013

“Mnemonic” at Quantum Theatre

The Pittsburgh Tatler: I remember the first time I heard about the play Mnemonic. I was teaching at the University of Notre Dame, and a graduate student in one of my classes (I think it was Renée D’Aoust [who just recently sent me a copy of her lovely memoir about dance, Body of a Dancer], but I could be misremembering) had seen Complicité’s original production of Mnemonic and described it to me as one of those arts-life-altering, magical, unforgettable, amazing theater experiences that reaffirms one’s belief in the power and importance of art to human experience and understanding. If I remember correctly (and I probably don’t), she wrote a paper about it; if that memory is correct (a big “if”), there’s a likelihood that I have a copy of that paper in my filing cabinet or even on a hard drive, or – given that this was back in the early “aughts” – on a floppy disk. I might, in other words, be able to retrieve hard evidence that would prompt a more accurate memory of that conversation with … was it Renée? Or was it someone else?

No comments: