CMU School of Drama


Thursday, November 15, 2007

With Many Shows Out, Theatergoers Venture Into the Unknown

New York Times: "As Broadway theatergoers know, there is a board at the TKTS discount tickets booth on 46th Street listing the available shows. On a typical Wednesday afternoon, the side of the board listing Broadway shows is lighted up with familiar names like “Curtains,” “Chicago” and “A Chorus Line.”"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good that people are getting out of the standard Broadway rut and seeing something new and interesting. Off-Broadway has a lot to offer, and most tourists and non-theater insiders won't even give it a second glance.

Anonymous said...

I think that while it may not be great for Broadway to have so many dark houses right now, I do think it is a wonderful opportunity for theater. To have people whose only experiance of live theater to be a performance of Legally Blonde is not the ideal. To have tourists and theater goers in general being exposed to different and less mainstream theater styles is great. Maybe next time they visit New York, they'll go Off-Broadway again, and that varied exposure is great for the industry.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see this article on the strike because its pretty unique. I am aware that a stagehand strike is a big deal, and it does affect our industry greatly, however this isn't the end of theatre and its good to see someone addressing that.