CMU School of Drama


Friday, November 16, 2007

Taymor Reflects On "The Lion King" , Tony-Winning Director Looks At Broadway Hit As It Turns 10 Years Old

The ShowBuzz: "'The Lion King' dazzled audiences and critics when it opened on Broadway 10 years ago this Nov. 13. CBS News correspondent Erin Moriarty spoke with its Tony Award-winning director, Julie Taymor, about the reasons for the show's world-wide success, her hopes for its future, and Taymor's personal journey from a suburb of Boston to the far reaches of the globe in search of artistic inspiration."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

10 years old already.... i remember seeing this show in toronto. beautiful. julie taymor is one of the most amazing directors of our time and i think its such an attribute to her talents that she can continually create beautiful, complex controversial work. kudos to a wonderful show and a wonderful career.

Kelli Sinclair said...

The Lion King is what I remember as being the thing to first introduce me to Julie Taymor. I had never heard of her before the show and since then I have loved her work. All of her reflects what I have seen in The Lion King. Her works always have a new perspective on things and it what makes it so interesting. I hope her new project is just as successful. Although I have a lot of doubt for Spiderman.

Anonymous said...

Something that definitely jumped out to me in this article was that they neglected to mention much else taht she has worked on besides The Lion King. Although that is what the article is mainly about, I still expected them to mention some of the other shows that she has worked. The Lion King is probably her most well-known though, so this does somewhat make sense.

Anonymous said...

Spiderman? Really? Okay, the pessimism ends here, I promise. Anyway, aside from that, it is hard to believe this show has been going on for such a long time. I remember when it first showed, and all the mixed reactions I heard. I still haven't seen it myself, but maybe someday that will happen. I've heard a great deal about it, both good and bad. Regardless, the story is enough to win me over.

Anonymous said...

This must be every writer's dream, to know that something you wrote will be still known and popular a decade after you wrote it. To be involved with something this successful must be a great feeling and it is something I think that we all strive for.

S said...

10 years old. It's interesting to remember when Lion King first came out and the revolutionary ideas that it brought. I wonder if the little reunion performance happened before the strike occurred, or if it was another thing that the strike effected. It's really interesting to hear that Lion King has found homes around the world in Johannesburg and soon Mexico. Granted with it's multi-presentational storytelling through the puppets and people it isn't so hard to see being popular where "normal American musicals" may not.