CMU School of Drama


Monday, April 01, 2019

All This Town’s a Stage

The New Yorker: It’s 7:45 p.m. in Stratford, Ontario when the city’s restaurants clear out. It’s a departure so sudden and sweeping one might assume this small city was rolling up its sidewalks for the night. In reality, these dinner guests are on their way to the 8:00 p.m. show at one of four performance spaces that make up the Stratford Festival, a repertory theatre and annual series that sells half a million tickets to shows in a town of little more than 30,000.

1 comment:

Reesha A. said...

I have never been to a theater where dinner is served and after reading this article and the comments, I do not think that I would want to be part of such an experience if not only for just the dinner and the experience of being in a show space.
I feel like this article hits the right point in how distracting eating food would be while someone is performing on stage, not to mention I feel like it would be low-key disrespectful also to the performers. But that is a point, I believe, is thought of by the producers and the designers of the show and hopefully is consulted with the actors before the opening of the show. But on a personal level, it still seems low-key disrespectful.
The other part of this scenario is the distraction that is caused. I do not think that I can enjoy and immerse myself completely in a performance if one part of my mind is busy eating food and figuring out if I like it or not.
But this is my personal view. I believe that if this is a common practice, it would have received favorable views from various audiences.