CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, April 24, 2019

What Las Vegas Can Teach Your Church About Staging and Rigging

Church Production Magazine: One of the true joys of working in the theatrical design business is meeting good people along your career path. I met Eric Rouse several years ago when he served as technical director for the Central City Opera. I soon learned of his amazing background and specialization in rigging and scenic technology. One of Eric's most impressive accomplishments was his rigging work on Cirque du Soleil's production of “O.”

1 comment:

Lauren Sousa said...

I thought this was really informative to anyone who is in this sort of situation of wanting to rig something in a small community theatre but not having the expertise needed. I thought the article, which was really just the transcript of the interview so really I should rather say Eric Rouse, was really successful in explaining simply some of the complexities of rigging and advocating why having experienced professionals weigh in on the process is so important. I was fortunate to at least have a basic understanding of all the topics that he was referring to and was easily able to follow along with everything he was discussing. I also thought that his experience of the difficulties in teaching rigging in seminars across the country was an interesting one. It must be an extremely difficult balance to know you have to un-teach an experienced and knowledgeable rigger practices that are not best practices or could even be straight-up dangerous isn’t something I’d want to take on, but this article does make me want to go to more rigging seminars.