CMU School of Drama


Monday, August 06, 2018

The Go-Go’s Gave Us the Beat and So Much More

The New York Times: When the Go-Go’s’ debut album came out in 1981, it provided sweet vindication for girls like me. I was a California-born punk-rock pirate marooned at a Midwestern public high school. No one invited smart-alecks to the prom, especially ones who openly mocked the idea of slow dancing to “Stairway to Heaven.” Incapable of meeting beauty standards, I defied them. Patti Smith didn’t shave her armpits, so neither did I. My outsider status was writ large one sunny morning, when I woke up to the message “Punk sucks” spray painted at the end of my parents’ driveway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello dear…
Thanks for sharing your real life experiance. your thoughts are very posivative and amazing. My New Article: about pop-up Ads