CMU School of Drama


Friday, August 29, 2014

8 Tips and Tricks for LinkedIn Power Users

mashable.com: You have hundreds of connections, stacks of skills and endorsements, a killer review of your experience and a flattering but professional headshot. Your LinkedIn profile is all set up for some seriously productive networking, and you're ready to build up your brand online as you climb the ladder of success. But don't you wish you could get a little bit more out of LinkedIn? While having an extensive network is a big advantage, there several little things you can do to help make the most of the website — and a lot of them are free.

2 comments:

simone.zwaren said...

I made a linked in profile a long time ago and I don’t think I quite realized its use until two summers ago when it was so easy to find people working in New York through the site. I wanted to be an assistant to a designer at least once that summer and linked in was great for finding people that I would have SOMEONE in common with. However a big fault in my linkedin use is the lack of exploration I did on the site. I don’t really know many tips and I sometimes feel like it is just a bunch of random pop ups on my profile and feed. I also know for a fact that my profile is not as strong as it could or should be. One tip that I had not really thought about was taking advantage of “groups”. I need to take the time to set up this network of mine so that it works better for my job needs and reflects myself and my work more accurately, which is what this article tries to help with.

Trent Taylor said...

I've had a linkedin profile for several years but it is quite blank and not really up to date. I've been meaning to get around to updating it because even at my work this past summer, I was able to see first hand how many people in the professional world really rely on Linkedin. As a newish user on linkedin I really appreciate the tips that this article gives. I think too many times articles on Linkedin talk about the content of what should be on your profile, but I like how this one actually talks about better ways to use the service itself. That being said, I do think this article is a bit mistitled. It talks about "power users" but I think the tips are useful for anyone.