CMU School of Drama


Thursday, March 28, 2013

How to Find the Perfect College Acting Program

www.backstage.com: When an actor is feeling general onstage, it’s often because there is too much on which to concentrate. To combat that, Konstantin Stanislavsky developed an exercise called the circle of attention that has actors place an imaginary circle around a fixed number of objects and then concentrate only on those objects within that circle to create a reality. This helps limit your concentration. The search for the perfect college training program can likewise feel overwhelming because there are too many concerns. I offer the following considerations to place in your circle of attention to help refine your search.

1 comment:

Jess Bergson said...

This is a really great article for students in high school who are wondering how to even begin with the college audition process. Even though this article is focused on acting, it applies to design and production as well. As someone applying to a school for theatre, it is really important to go into the process knowing exactly what you want. At the same time, it can be really difficult to evaluate college programs and even more difficult to decide personally the type of program you want. I know one of the biggest things for me was deciding whether I wanted a BA or a BFA. I know that I enjoyed both of these environments. In order to really decide which school was best for me, I had to visit the programs I was considering and experience the life and energy within them. As it turns out, the conservatory style education felt right to me, and it definitely still does. I am happy I had the chance to really think about and experience the type of education I wanted before making such an important decision.