CMU School of Drama


Saturday, March 16, 2013

Guest Post: DGA Women Directors Foment a Rebellion

Women and Hollywood: This past Saturday, March 2, 2013, became an historic day as the DGA Women’s Steering Committee hosted the DGA Women of Action Summit in LA bringing together 150 female American directors for a day-long event designed to create solutions to the problem of the under-representation and under-employment of women directors in Hollywood. This event was a long time coming and to me, the day was reminiscent, in terms of unity, passion and commitment to the rallies for women's rights of the 1970's. The day included opening remarks by Academy Award-winner and advocate, Geena Davis, who connected the need for the global proliferation of more positive images of women and girls to the immediacy of getting more women behind the camera here in Hollywood. Currently, according to the latest stats from the DGA, women only helm 5% of feature films and 15% of episodic TV shows.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Being a female actor, not director, and being relatively new to the theater world, this issue never really occurred to me. But having read this article, now that I think about it, yes, most directors in the industry today are males. It is rare that you see a female's name as director of a film or see many women nominated in the Best Director category. I guess I had always just assumed that more men than women were interested in directing. I am so glad I read this article because as a female, it is so important for me to be aware of this issue so I can be an active advocate. It never occurred to me that women, like in so many other professions, are being denied opportunities and privileges just because of their gender and that their civil rights are actually being violated. Knowing this now, I am really happy to see that women are taking action.