CMU School of Drama


Thursday, March 14, 2013

Broadway Series books Tony winners 'Once,' 'The Gershwin's Porgy and Bess'

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: The PNC Broadway Across America -- Pittsburgh is bringing a trio of last year's Tony Award winners to the Cultural District next season: "Once" (best musical); "The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess" (best revival) and "Peter and the Starcatcher" (best scenic, costume, sound and lighting in a play). The 2013-14 season opens Sept. 3 with the previously announced "Disney's The Lion King." The schedule features seven shows plus three season specials, including the return of "Wicked." Both "Lion King" and "Wicked" were among the shows celebrated in a Pittsburgh Cultural District event tonight that featured tour veterans Buyi Zama (Rafiki) singing "Circle of Life" and Anne Brummel (Elphaba) singing "The Wizard and I." Matt Kopec, who played the lead in "Elf," sang World's Greatest Dad," while playwright Rick Elice explained the creation of "Peter and the Starcatcher."

2 comments:

Nathan Bertone said...

What a FANTASTIC season for next year! I had no clue that Peter and the Star Catcher and Porgy and Bess were on tour already! This is some really exciting news. I would love to get a season ticket holder pass for these shows, but the only problem is knowing when we have available. In order to look into doing this, I am wondering if there is anyone specific I should talk to about this either on the Broadway Across America end or the CMU end. I also think it would be great to look into CMU student nights, or college nights where were able to get some sort of discount as a group.

E Young Choi said...

Next year's season will be AMAZING! I was so excited to hear about next season's production that will be coming to Pittsburgh. I never imagined to see such famed and demanding productions will come to Pittsburgh theatre. Although it seems that it will be kind of hard to get to the theater because they are in downtown, I would definitely want to try to see every single show that is listed on here. Like how Nate suggested above, I like the idea of getting discount as a group, so that drama students can go as a group. As much as Pittsburgh bringing such famed productions for fans, I want to take the chance as much as I can. I hope that I don't miss such chance as well as having opportunity to visit various theaters in Pittsburgh.