CMU School of Drama


Monday, March 11, 2013

A note regarding Brian Johnston



Dear Friends,

Some of you may know already that UCSC's Theater Arts Department hosted an international conference on PEER GYNT this week in conjunction with our school's production of the play. This was a very special production, requiring two years of preliminary research, and garnering support from the Norwegian consulate and many other interested parties. I was the lead dramaturg (of a team of seven!) on the production, and of course my first, last, and many intermediate stops in my research were to Brian - his books, my notes from his lectures, and himself in person. We used his translation, his research, his website, and his direct advice throughout the process. 

Of course we arranged for him to join us in Santa Cruz this past weekend (March 9) to participate in a conference attached to the production. Also in attendance at this conference were some of Brian's true peers in scholarship, including Dame Vigdis Ystad (head of Ibsen Studies at Olso University, and recently knighted by the King of Norway for her work in this area), the renowned folklorist Sverre Morkhagen, the great performance scholar from Israel Freddie Rokem, the celebrated ibsenist Sarah Bryant-Bertail, the RSC actor and Ibsen expert Paul Whitworth, and several other luminaries of the field from around the world, all of whom had known Brian's work intimately and also himself personally.



About a month ago Brian called to inform me that he could not attend the conference because of his upcoming surgery, but he very kindly completed the paper anyway and asked me to read it in his place. Everyone here was very disappointed but we made arrangements to have Brian reschedule his trip for when he was feeling better. 

Francis Pitt very kindly called me last Saturday to let me know that Brian had passed, and I realized that I was in possession of Brian's last piece of writing, and I had the honor of reading it, a grievous honor that I would have given my right hand not to have had. 

But I had the opportunity to eulogize Brian just a little bit at the conference, to tell a few funny stories about him, to talk about his work as a teacher and a colleague and a dear friend, for these great minds who had known him only as another great mind, and not as a human being. I talked about you all, and how much you meant to him, and how much he meant to me. And I read his beautiful paper, which was on trolls.

I just felt that it was my responsibility to write to you all and tell you this. For my part, I feel extremely fortunate that I had ten years of friendship and discipleship of this man, without whom my life as a person AND as an intellectual would have been significantly poorer.

My warmest regards to you all. Please forward this to anyone I may have neglected to include who should have it.

-Michael

No comments: