CMU School of Drama


Saturday, February 11, 2012

Kushner and Schumacher on Education

Theatre Ideas: Fifteen years ago, Tony Kushner delivered the keynote address to the assembled college theatre professors of the US at the Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) convention. His speech was printed in January 1998 in American Theatre magazine (back when they thought that opinion pieces had a place in their magazine, especially if they were provocative opinion pieces). I urge you to read the whole essay; I'm rereading it today.

1 comment:

Meg DC said...

This article is really not one to read if you are not ready to think. I just read it (multiple times) because there is the question as to weather the desire for efficiency will overthrow innovation and potential progress. I mean, how is progress defined? I can certainly agree that it would be bad if people stopped asking questions and finishing sentences (metaphorically), but I am not sure there is as much of an issue with higher education as the author of the article leaves us to imply. Or perhaps I have just been too lost in "corporate Never-Never Land" to know.