CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, May 14, 2024

From Playbill’s CEO: This Spring Is the Best That Broadway’s Ever Had

Playbill: Three years ago, on April 14, my father, Arthur T. Birsh, died. As the longtime publisher of Playbill, my father had dedicated his life to the theatre community and Playbill. Even during his final days, he cared so deeply for the community and its future. This was in 2021, a year into the COVID-19 pandemic that shut down the industry we both loved. No one knew then when theatre was going to come back. In his final day, my father asked me, worried (one of the rare times I’ve seen him so scared), if we would ever be in a theatre again, if Playbill could survive if there was no theatre. Holding his hand, I reassured him that Broadway would be back and I promised that we would be there with it.

No comments: