CMU School of Drama


Friday, December 03, 2021

Broadway theaters will dim the lights on December 8, in honor of Stephen Sondheim

DC Metro Theater Arts: As the Broadway community continues to mourn the loss of legendary composer and lyricist Stephen Sondheim, who passed away on November 26, at age 91, The Broadway League announced that the Committee of Theatre Owners will dim the lights of Broadway theaters in NYC for one minute on Wednesday, December 8, at exactly 6:30 pm, to commemorate his life and work.

1 comment:

Sidney R. said...

I believe this is a really beautiful gesture to Sondheim. Simple, but likely noticeable by the New York City theatre community. But then again, how do you honor a man of this much accomplishment? His music has moved so many, and continues to serve as a vital part of the musical theatre community. I remember breaking down his style of rhythm and use of text in my Musical Theatre History class and it opened a whole other level of admiration for his work. I've been doing a full dive back into his works this past week and I'm not disappointed. But like reading plays, I never feel like I develop a full love and appreciation for a musical until I've seen it live, or worked on it in a rehearsal room. I have no doubt this'll continue to happen, and I hope I get to be a part of one of his pieces. That's how these works will continue to live on.