CMU School of Drama


Friday, December 31, 2021

Jenny Beavan On ‘Cruella’, ‘Furiosa’ Costume Design

Production Value – Deadline: As the costume designer for Disney’s Cruella, Jenny Beavan would have the opportunity to craft dazzlingly inventive designs befitting a world of fashion, and to put her stamp on a classic Disney character. Still, she admits that when she was first approached for the Craig Gillespie film, her initial response was one of “fear, not excitement,” given the fact that she would need to prep the “massive” production in just 10 weeks.

1 comment:

Sophia Coscia said...

5. After seeing Cruella, I remarked to my friend that the best part of the movie was the costuming. I really didn’t think to look into the designer any further, however. I am so glad this article came up and I was able to read more about Jenny Beavan. First off, the costume design in Cruella created a lush and believable story scape. In my opinion, a lot of times Disney costumes look like too over produced, but Beavan brought an element of high fashion to her work, out of necessity but also skill. I really admired seeing that in a Disney film. Second, in writing about Beavan I find her incredibly inspiring. It is apparent she is very humble, after all of her work in film, she admitted to still being nervous to work on a project like Cruella. I also admire the arch in her story where she always considered herself a theatre person, I have always felt the same. However, when opportunity presented itself, Jenny Bevan jumped, and to see where that drive took her now is inspiring.