CMU School of Drama


Monday, November 25, 2019

Interview: Leslie Iwerks on Bringing 'The Imagineering Story' To Screen

The Mary Sue: The Imagineering Story, which track the building and development of the Disney parks by the Imagineers (a title thought up by Walt to encompass something more than an engineer or designer) through the years is one of my favorite originals on the new Disney+ service. I love it not just because I’m a sucker for the parks (though I am), but because of how director and producer Leslie Iwerks takes us to behind the magic to places the public rarely, if ever, see. Iwerks took some time to chat with the Mary Sue about making The Imagineering Story and bringing unknown corners of Disney history to light.

2 comments:

Alexa Janoschka said...

I have Disney plus now so hopefully, I can find some times to watch the Imagineering story (that is what I will probably do over winter break when I actually have some free time). I don’t know a lot about Imagineering or the Disney parks but there has been a lot of buzz about this documentary and understand the process behind the creation of some of the parks. It is cute to read about the small dynasty of directors that have produced documentaries about Disney and Pixar. It is interesting to see that they didn’t know where they were going to air this documentary but Disney plus and the final documentary happen to be a perfect match. It is cool that Disney is letting us into the world of Imagineering but that they are still keeping some of their secrets to keep fans on their toes. I love how Disney puts so much meaning into their work, it is very inspiring. I don’t know if I will ever work on something for Disney in the future but it is a cool thought.

Elliot Queale said...

Hopefully I get the chance to see this series because this is one of the biggest reasons I got into the entertainment and theatre business. I found that so many people in my undergraduate courses didn't quite understand what I was doing in the theatre department or why I was spending so much of my time working there. While the Walt Disney Corporation has many, many different facets and layers to it, a simplified series talking about what you can do as an engineer or technician in this business can have an incredible impact on someone who is interested in the field. This is ultimately what I think we need when we talk about STEAM education. There really isn't anywhere quite like the live entertainment world where you are tasked with solving the most interesting and complex problems that truly challenge your brain in both the arts and science. I hope that more students see this and realize what a bright future could be in store for them!