CMU School of Drama


Friday, October 28, 2016

Broadway's Patrick Page steps into the role of Scrooge for Pittsburgh CLO

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Broadway star Patrick Page returns to Pittsburgh CLO to play Ebeneezer Scrooge for the 25th anniversary of the company’s “A Musical Christmas Carol,” a production that will include new set elements and special effects.

Mr. Page’s Broadway credits include the multiple roles as the adult men in “Spring Awakening,” Green Goblin in “Spider-Man,” Henry VIII in “Man for All Seasons,” The Grinch in “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” Scar in “The Lion King” and Lumiere in “Beauty and the Beast” and the Voice of God in “An Act of God.” He played Fagin in “Oliver!” for Pittsburgh CLO in 2010.

Tom Atkins had appeared in the role of Scrooge from 2008 through last year.

3 comments:

Evan Schild said...

This seems like it is going to be a very interesting production. I have seen Patrick in many shows. Along with seeing him backstage during a performance of spring awakening when I shadowed the stage management team. He is a very interesting person. I think he is an incredible actor. This will be an amazing performance of his. I do wonder though why he is coming all the way to Pittsburgh for a short run of a show. It is slightly sad to read the actor who has been playing it for years is no longer doing it. They probably wanted to market the show in a different way and get more of a crowd to come since he is a broadway A-lsiter. Id imagine he is getting paid a lot of money to do this project. Hopefully I get a chance to see this show.

Zak Biggins said...

WHAT? PATRICK PAGE IN PITTSBURGH? (did you like my alliteration there?) He is a phenomenal actor and I look forward to seeing this production. Sometimes I do wonder at what cost does it take to fly in a "successful industry actor" vs hiring locally. I think commercial theatre is becoming problematic because so much of it is centered around the name of the starring player rather than the artistic integrity of a piece. I have always been a huge fan of Patrick- though I have noticed most of his work has been originating characters that have already been established through either TV or Novels (Lion King, Spider Man, The Grinch)... I hope to see this show!

Unknown said...

I guess we have officially reached that time of year where every regional theater is going to mount their own “unique” production of Christmas Carol that they hope will bring in loads of dollars, so that they then can have the budget for the rest of their season. Maybe it is just me, but I am over Christmas Carol. Like, just looking at Pittsburgh alone, there are at least six different productions of the play all running at the same time. Now I get that whole tradition aspect of it, but can some one please write a new family holiday show, so that we can get some variety up in here? Something new, fresh, and lively would be amazing because it is different. It might take a season or two to get the public on board, but I think it will be worth the investment because you fill your house with audience members like me who are over Christmas Carol.