CMU School of Drama


Thursday, September 20, 2012

Cott Takes the Lead

Carnegie Mellon University | CMU: Corey Cott (A'12) peers up at the New York sky and can barely contain the unyielding grin on his face. The recent Carnegie Mellon University grad just landed the lead in one of Broadway's biggest hits, the Disney musical Newsies. His predecessor, Jeremy Jordan, has moved on to the TV show SMASH which features CMU alumni Megan Hilty (A'04), Leslie Odom, Jr. (A'03) and Christian Borle (A'95).

2 comments:

Nathan Bertone said...

This article is simply inspiring. Attending a school such as CMU that produces some of the must talented and "successful" people in the industry is an amazing feeling. My favorite moment in the article was the point when "Cott remembers, "and I thought, 'Wow, I need to use my talent in a way that does something meaningful for the world. I can't just do this for the wrong reasons — just to gain fame and fortune.'"' This one sentence is the most inspiring sentence I have heard in quite some time. To know that people here DO think about what success ACTUALLY means instead of just broadway,broadway,broadway is fantastic. I don't think I could be a person who is only ever thinking of fame and fortune and i'm so happy to be in a program that supports those ideals.

tspeegle said...

Corey is an amazing artist. I am proud that I had the chance to work with him in Sweeney. He stole the show every night when he sang "not while I'm around."
I agree with Nathan it is inspiring to see the success of those that have come before us.
I don't think that we are going to change the world, but hopefully each of us find success.