CMU School of Drama


Monday, September 19, 2011

MOMIX dances through the seasons with 'Botanica'

Post Gazette: It was a world that MOMIX founder/choreographer Moses Pendleton found in his very own Connecticut backyard, filled with sunflowers and snow, leaves and loons. But Mr. Pendleton's "Botanica," which opened the Pittsburgh Dance Council season at the Byham Theater Friday night, went beyond that everyday sense of reality to assemble a potpourri of images that wildly elaborated on nature's bounty.

2 comments:

Calvin said...

This sounds like such a wonderful show and I'm sorry I missed it. It sounds like there were some very moving stage pictures onstage that were original and compelling. The author of the column noted that the strongest part of the production was the poetry of it all, and I think that is very admirable, especially for a show with so much visual stimulation. I think poetry in theatre is often set aside as unimportant, but I think people forget how strong it can be when done well.

Jennifer said...

I heard that this show was amazing but no one could really put into words why it was so awesome. This article really makes me sorry I missed this show. Its seems like this show successfully brought the audience into an unreal world of nature and create stunning stage pictures that I would have loved to have seen. I like that they seemed to tackle technical challenges with such ease. Giant wings,fabric covering the whole stage, and a woman riding a triceratops all in one show could have been overwhelming, but they seemed to appear on stage naturally. I especially like that the show flowed along with Vivaldi's Four Seasons.